The key to preventing cardiovascular disease, also called coronary artery disease (CAD), is managing your risk factors, such as high blood pressure, high total cholesterol or high blood glucose. But how do you know which risk factors you have? Included in our Heart Health Screening, will be:
- Cardiac risk assessment
- Blood pressure and heart rate
- Height, weight and body mass index
- Biometric screening – cholesterol and blood glucose
- 12-lead EKG
- Counseling with cardiac nurse navigator
If you schedule an appointment with our team, here is what you can expect:
Your assessment will take about 15 minutes to complete. You will be asked to fast for 6 hours prior to the appointment, although you may have water. Upon arriving for your appointment, you will be greeted by the Cardiac Navigator, who will perform the following assessments:
- Listen to your heart rate and check your blood pressure
- Perform a fingerstick and obtain a small sample of blood to test your cholesterol and glucose.
Results will be available within 5 minutes
- Calculate your BMI based on your height and weight
- Review your medication list and take a brief history
- Perform an Electrocardiogram. It is non-invasive and does not hurt. Patches are placed on the skin to detect electrical impulses that the heart generates. These impulses are recorded by an ECG machine. Four patches are placed on the limbs. One is placed on each shoulder or upper arm and one on each leg. These are called the limb leads. There are six patches that are placed on the chest wall beginning just to the right of the breast bone. Patches are placed in the shape of a semi-circle ending near the left axilla (underarm). These are called the chest leads. These patches are connected to an ECG machine that records the tracings and prints them onto paper. The EKG recording will be reviewed by a cardiologist from Mount Sinai Heart New York at Jupiter.
All the information obtained will be utilized to provide you with a Cardiac Risk Score and if appropriate, a Cardiac Age Score. The Cardiac Navigator will provide counseling in ways to reduce your risk of a heart disease.
The cost for this screening package is $69 and is not covered by insurance.
To find out if you are at risk and should schedule an appointment, click here.